Wednesday, February 08, 2006

It's not true that life is one damn thing after another; it is one damn thing over and over.

That's Edna St. Vincent Millay for you..

I decided to blog today for no reason at all.. I'm not angry, sick, happy or forgetful, for that matter.. Just decided to write something and quote someone out of impulse while listening to Michael Buble and watching Sal sleep...

Okaaaaayy.. let's begin.. hmmm...

CASE 1:
I was just chatting with Sap just now over MSN about mats and minahs.. I told him that I felt that he is the only malay guy in NTU whom has no apparent trace of mat-hood in him... And so he asked me how I define mats:

me: mats are those who find the need to prove a non- existent Malay identity. Same as that of minahs, tho' theirs has a life- long objective of attracting men. And I do not deny being guilty of this myself.

Sap: I define a hardcore mat as possessing the 5Ms. Confirm got Motor, smokes Marlboro, matair also a Minah, hiphop Music BUT no Money.

So that's Sap's 5M theory for you.

Case 2:
Since I mentioned about the Sarung Party Girl, Isabella, in my previous post, I've been reading her blog. You may wanna check it out on your own and read it.

Personally, I find it filled with bullcrap. Not that mine isn't.

She's one of the many girls JC ppl I know who experimented far enough to come up with their own views about sex and be open about it so as to discuss about it online. Trust me, despite us JC ppl being viewed as scholarly geeks who have nothing better to do than get a degree, we do have a life.

Generally, there are the 2 different JC people:
1) Those who are truly passionate about studies
2) Those who got jaded along the way and just aimed for a degree just for the sake of a stable job.

And I find type 2 far more human than 1 and easier to mix around with. Obvious enough, Isabella is type 2 and so are the few 342856970350280302 of us in NTU, including yours truly.

So my conclusion:

All of us, teenager or not, are trying to be different, unique and prove or find our identity. It's in all of us, and the only way we can learn this, is not by parental advice, but by experience.

Life is life and if you read the title of this post deep enough, you'll either get me, or get myopic.. hehe..

Mats are mats because they need to prove themselves Malay, and yet try to be different. That's the reason for the unrealised distortion. They are proud to be Malay. And they are trying to show to others that being Malay is cool and that explains the attention grabbing clothes and behaviour. That's normal, but that's the very irony. Malay culture was never about being rowdy, loud and has NOTHING to do with ending every sentence with SIAL. It's about being humble, berbudi bahasa (courteous) and well, CULTURED.

Same goes with Isabella and me. In one way or another, we are trying to prove to be different, when actually life is the same for everyone: it's one damn thing over and over.

In Isabella's case, she's trying to prove to all virgins out there that sex is well, sex. It's no big deal, with or without religious beliefs or social pressures. And in all her effort to prove this, she blogs about the many men she slept with, the pleasures and details of the sex she had, and in the end, she sound like a slut. A complete contradiction.

I am actually on her side. But I don't sleep around or blog about it. Salleha always said, "Berani buat, berani tanggung." To me, yeah, sex might be just that. There's really no big deal about penetration and pleasure. I do believe that those who hold strongly to religious belief about how we are valued by our virginity, VERY STUPID. Really, we are not trying to justify ourselves or compromise principles, but we are just TRYING TO PROVE TO BE LIBERAL.

And for that, people like us sound as though we have no culture whatsoever.

Maybe what Isabella is trying to prove is: Pre- marital sex is OK and fun and that everyone should be more open about sex. (maybe the government should really make use of her in this love month to promote pregnancy, hehe..)

But what I'm trying to prove is: The value of a person is not by his/ her virginity, physique or mistakes, but by his/ her ability and desire to change. The physical state or action of a person say NOTHING about who they really are. A terrorist may be as democratic as America, for all you know.

We are all misunderstood whenever we try to prove something. Maybe that's why we never need to prove anything. Life is life. Everyone gets through it and will figure out the truth eventually. Virgins will realise that sex is not a big deal (after their marriage, or course). Mats will grow out of their tapered pants. And I will eventually accept that pain is a part of life.

That's all..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home